2022 Guide to the Top InsurTech Events & Conferences In New York City
Over the last several years, NYC has established itself as the capital of insurance technology (aka InsurTech) by becoming home to numerous disruptive companies and startups focusing on property & casualty, health & benefits, and annuities. And, if you’re in the industry, this shouldn’t come as news to you.
To begin with, the city is home to many Fortune 500 insurance companies, such as AIG, Metlife, Marsh, Chubb, New York Life, Prudential, and Travelers. With these large financial services companies in such close proximity, startups have more opportunities to establish partnerships with these industry giants.
Aside from its proximity to nearby insurers, New York City’s supply of innovative marketers and creative capital has made it a hub for InsurTech. Madison Avenue, located in the heart of New York City, has long been where companies go to build brands, develop products, and make themselves known.
On a separate note, NYC is also arguably one of the best cities in the world to host events. After all, it’s a diverse city with much to explore– warranting an extended trip to take in all the sights even after attending a Big Apple event.
With all that being said, it’s obvious that New York City has not only the best insurance events and companies in the country but possibly in the world. In particular, these are the five NYC insurtech events that should be marked on your calendar.
- 2022 FICP Winter Symposium: January 23–25, 2022
During the three days at the iconic New York Marriott Marquis, you’ll experience a noteworthy lineup of speakers and sessions focused on industry trends and numerous networking opportunities to connect with colleagues. In fact, on each day you have a chance to mingle with the FICP during dedicated networking blocks or during breakfast and lunch. Unlike the other NYC InsurTech Events listed in this article, this event is more focused towards the insurance industry in general.
There are also plenty of educational sessions focusing on areas like how to lead more effectively, contract negotiations, emerging technology trends, and the latest financial and insurance trends. The registration fee is $215.
- Employment Practices Liability Insurance: January 25 – 26, 2022
Taking place at The Westin New York at Times Square, this is the premier and must-attend event for employment law. During the two days, experts will discuss and debate the latest and most effective defense strategies in a wide range of topics. Some of the topics covered include the state of the EPLI market, the great resignation, and biometrics and data privacy.
Pricing to attend the conference is $1,795.00 if by December 10 or $1,995.00
By January 25. If you can’t attend in person, you can participate in a real-time broadcast.
- InsurTech NY: March 7, 2022
If there is a single NYC InsurTech Event that should not be missed, it is the annual InsurTech NY Spring Conference. The annual spring conference of insurance innovators and InsurTech leaders is being held in NYC by InsurTech NY, specifically at the Marriott Marquis on Broadway. Insurance carriers and brokers that have been making strides in innovation will be speaking at this all-day conference from 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., along with InsurTech startups that are disrupting the market.
For 2022, this premier insurance conference will concentrate primarily on whether insurers should be digitally-first or customer-first. This will be discussed through panels including “The Small Commercial Distribution Battleground,” “Lessons from Insurtech Unicorns,” and “Emerging and Adjacent Insurance Products.”
Additionally, during this conference, the largest InsurTech competition will also take place. Here, the top startups will pitch to investors and insurance executives from a pool of more than 100 applicants. There are also plenty of beneficial networking opportunities for industry professionals to expand their networks. Tickets are reasonably priced between $450 to $850.
- AI in Insurance Summit: April 21 – 22, 2022
Held at Convene’s One Liberty Plaza location, this conference will focus on innovations in areas like artificial intelligence tools, techniques, and applications. You will also be able to hear from 90 different industry leaders.
This year, the AI in Insurance Summit will offer participants a chance to learn and collaborate over a number of stages through roundtables, Q&As, or one-on-ones. If you can’t attend in person, there is a virtual option.
Depending on when you register or if you’re a startup or student, pricing ranges from $595 to $1,495.
- InsurTech Insights: May 24 – 25, 2022
The convention takes place at the Javits Center, one of the busiest convention centers in the United States. During the two-day event, you’ll hear about the latest trends and issues that organizations are facing from numerous industry experts. And, there will also be several networking opportunities as well.
General passes are priced at $995.
What else should you do in NYC?
While attending the NYC insurtech events above should be more than enough, you might as well use this to explore the city that never sleeps.
If this is your first time in the Big Apple, there’s nothing wrong with visiting common tourist destinations like Times Square, the Empire State Building, or even catching a show on Broadway. But, if you’re looking for something unusual and more memorable, here are some unique suggestions courtesy of Kelly the Girl With a Passport;
- The MET Cloisters. A lesser-known area of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Cloisters, capture the ethereal, medieval beauty of medieval times.
- Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Design Museum. After your visit to the MET, swing by next door and check out this design museum that showcases innovative designs that create beautiful environments and enhance people’s lives.
- Felix Roasting Company. The coffee has been described as “divine.” But, what separates this coffeehouse, which is located on Park Avenue South is that its interiors are so lavish that it almost feels like a quaint cafe in Vienna, or on a set from a Wes Anderson movie.
- McSorley’s Old Ale House. This legendary watering hole first opened in 1854, making it the oldest and longest continuously operating bar in the country.
- The tram to Roosevelt Island. Want the best view of Manhattan? Take the tram to Roosevelt Island, which is in the middle of the East River, right beneath the Queensboro Bridge. While there, you can also check out the Blackwell house and the North Point Lighthouse.
- The Comedy Cellar. If you don’t mind sitting in a crowd, you should definitely catch a performance at this iconic venue where some of the city’s top comedians frequently perform.
- The Ghostbuster’s firehouse. While strolling down Moore Street in lower Manhattan, take a moment to check out the firehouse that appeared in the 1984 classic, Ghostbusters.
- Time Out Market. Are you a foodie? Head to Dumbo, Brooklyn where you can find 24 of the city’s premier eateries.
- The Vander Ende-Onderdonk House. Located at 18-20 Flushing Avenue in Ridgewood, Queens, this is the oldest Dutch Colonial stone house in New York City having been built in 1709.
- Thain Family Forest. Found in the Bronx, this is a fifty-acre plot of trees, within the New York Botanical Garden. It’s home to the largest tract of old-growth forest in the city.